Instructions for the food for the needy and homeless volunteers.
Instructions for the groups and volunteers coming to DC Central Kitchen
What time: 8.45 AM to 1.00 PM
Where: D. C. Central Kitchen (DCCK), 425 2nd Street N.W., Washington, D.C. Zip: 20001
The D.C. Central Kitchen is located on the ground floor of the Federal City Shelter at 425 2nd Street NW.
The Federal City Shelter is a three story gray building on the southeast corner of Second and E Streets NW. Please note that the Central Kitchen cannot be entered from Second Street. The entrance to the Central Kitchen is at the back of this building, down the service road off E Street NW and is marked by a large sign. It looks like a service/delivery entrance.
Basic rules and instructions for all participants are as follows:
Safety First. If you do not follow the rules, you cannot enter the kitchen.
(1) Volunteers must be at least 12 years old
(2) Adherence to the following dress code is required:
2.1 Long pants
2.2 Closed-toed shoes (no sandals)
2.3 Tank-tops are not allowed
(3) No exposed midriff
DC Central Kitchen provides Hair nets, Gloves and Apron to all volunteers. To keep some of your personal belongings, limited locker space is available (in view of this, please try to travel light).
From Potomac, Bethesda and VA
- Take GW parkway to DC.
- Take 395 North to down town.
- Take exit D (same as Capitol exit) and stay on the left lane and take a right on D Street. (If you stay on the right lane, it will take to capitol)
- From D street take 1st left on to 1st street. Take the first alley that comes after the
first building on the left.
- Park on the gravel parking lot next to DC Kitchen vans.
Parking at DC Central Kitchen is limited; public transportation is recommended. Parking options include metered street parking, parking at Union Station and the parking garage off of First street between D street and E street.
Taking the Metro:
- Take the Red Line to the Judiciary Square stop.
- Exit onto Fourth Street NW, and turn around at the top of the escalator.
- Walk to E Street NW and take a right onto it.
- Stay on E Street, crossing 3rd St. and 2nd St.
- Turn right onto the service road, just behind the building.
The volunteers will be assigned to smaller teams to perform specific tasks like washing and cutting vegetables cooking, packing, cleaning, etc. Your volunteering effort will be highly appreciated by the DCCK staff.
We cook a balanced vegetarian meal. The main dish we make will be brown rice and Rajma a vegetarian chilly. It will be served along with garden salad and a fruit. Most of the volunteer will make the main dish and salad; however, some volunteers may be asked to help the DCCK staff to prepare other dishes within the scheduled time.
Groups also arrange for the breakfast for the volunteers
|Breakfast for Volunteers @ DC Central Kitchen|
|Bottled water-2||24 pack|
|Apple Juice||2 x 1/2 half gallon|
|Orange Juice||2 x 1/2 half gallon|
|Instant Coffee powder||for 45 people|
|Milk (1%) – for coffee and tea||1 gallon|
|Sugar and Splenda||–|
|Paper products (plates, cups, napkins)||–|
|Spoons, forks, knives||–|
|Paper towel rolls||3 rolls|
|Soda (regular/Diet)||2 bottles (diet)|